Sunday, November 11, 2012

Deja Vu Review (3)


The Deja Vu Review is hosted every Sunday by Brittany at The Book Addict's Guide.  It's a chance to mini-review books that I read pre-blog.  This week's topic is mystery novels.  I went through my Goodreads list and realized I haven't read nearly as many mysteries as I thought.  I guess I need to rectify that!

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane


I know, I know, I've mentioned Dennis Lehane way too much around here already.  But when I think of good mystery novels, Shutter Island is tops on my list.  The story begins in 1954 with Teddy Daniels, a US Marshal who is investigating a missing patient from the mental hospital on Shutter Island.  However, this mystery about the patient quickly escalates into a tangled web of suspense, as Daniels learns more about the hospital, and reveals information about his own past.

I love a mystery that makes me feel like I am working just as hard as the protagonist to figure out "whodunit".  Shutter Island made me feel that way, times ten.  I don't want to give too much away, but Lehane does a superb job building suspense, and the ending is probably one of my favorites in the history of ever.  If you haven't read this yet, you MUST!  (Bonus: the Scorcese film is phenomenal--one of the best book-to-movie adaptations I've ever seen.  Watch it when you're done reading!)

In The Woods by Tana French


I heard SO many good recommendations for this book, that I had to give it a try last year.  It opens with Detective Rob Ryan, who had 2 friends who disappeared (and were presumed murdered) when he was young.  He was present when they disappeared, but got severe amnesia and was never able to tell police what happened.  Nowadays, he’s a cop in Ireland who is called in to investigate a murder that happened disturbingly close to where his friends disappeared.  

I loved the suspense in this book.  I had some suspicions about who the murderer actually was, but the way it came together at the end was great.  However, there is one BIG detail that is not resolved in the novel, and I thought for sure it would be.  I was so puzzled at the end when it wasn’t solved, that I started searching online to see if there is a sequel or something (there isn’t).  I was super disappointed about it.  I can’t tell you what it is because it would be a huge spoiler alert, but trust me, it’s big.  Anyway, this is a great book in terms of thrills and suspense, but not entirely satisfying because of the way the end was wrapped up.

What are some of your favorite mysteries?

12 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about 'In the Woods'. It was such a good story but I felt so let down at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a heck of a time finding a great mystery/thriller. Lehane though? Always good stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually never didn't know Shutter Island was an adaptation of a book! Definitely makes me interested in picking it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, if you read it, I would love to hear your take on the endings of each! That is my favorite thing to discuss with everyone who has both read and watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book of Shutter Island sounds fantastic. I've seen the film (loved it) but will definitely check out the book as well now. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see someone else who can re-devour 'Shutter Island' like I can. It is such an amazing book; I really feel the movie doesn't do justice, although it is good. I agree about the ending as well... never saw it coming! I also have 'In The Woods' on my bookshelf, but haven't read it yet. Reading your review makes it climb a few spots to my next 'to be read' book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sirenstale, I really want to do a Shutter Island re-read--and I rarely re-read anything. I love it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved Shutter Island -- even though I saw the movie first, I still enjoyed the book. In the Woods was OK but I've not picked up any other French books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I read Shutter Island about a year ago, and watched the film a few months ago with my boyfriend at the time. He'd not read the book, but managed to guess EVERYTHING, which annoyed me! =( I was all smug, knowing what was going on and he got it right away...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rinn, ughhh that stinks! I watched it with my husband when it first came out, and he was pretty amazed by the whole thing. I was feeling smug...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of these books, but especially In the Woods. It stands up fantastically well to a re-read, in case you're feeling super-adventurous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip Alison, I may need to give it another try at some point!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs