Tuesday, April 2, 2013

So how are those challenges going? *squirm*

Remember all those awesome reading challenges that I was posting about late last year?  Just to refresh your memory, psycho-me signed up for 5 challenges for 2013.  Now that we're 25% into the year, I figured I would keep myself honest by reporting my progress (or lack thereof) to my reading audience.

Without further ado!

Challenge #1: Around The World in 12 Books Challenge
Read 1 book a month, each from a different specified country.
I'm not doing too bad here.  I kept up with the January and February countries, but fell a little behind with March (I have just a few pages left in my Wales novel now, so only a few days behind!).  I am hoping to read my Fiji book on time this month, and get back on track.

Current Grade: B+

Challenge #2: Monthly Keyword Challenge
Read 1 book a month, each with a different keyword in the title.
Pretty much the same as Challenge #1.  Did great with January/February, but my Wales book is doubling as my March keyword book, so I will be a few days late getting this one finished up.  Looking to get back on track in April!

Current Grade: B+

Challenge #3: Foodies Read Challenge
Read 4 food-related books.
I've completed 1 out of the 4 books that I signed up to read here, so I guess I'm right on track.  I have eleventy billion food books checked out from the library right now (as you can see here), so hopefully I will tuck another one under my belt soon.

Current Grade: A

Challenge #4: Audiobook Challenge
Listen to at least 6 audiobooks.
Doing awesome on this one!!  I only signed up to finish 6 audiobooks this year, but I've already done 4.  It helps that I listen to them so much during my commutes.  I may actually raise the bar here and go for the next level up (12).

Current Grade: A++

Challenge #5: Mount TBR Challenge
Read at least 24 books from my at-home TBR pile.
This one is going to be a total wash.  I have only read ONE out of the 24 books I was hoping to take off my TBR pile this year.  There is no way I'm going to finish this one, especially given all the review copies that I have coming up in May/June.  I'll honestly be surprised if I make it to 10 by the end of the year.  And this is all not to mention the TONS of new books I've added to my possession the last few months.  FAIL!

Current Grade: F-

Readers, did you sign up for any reading challenges this year?  How are they going so far?

17 comments:

  1. I specifically didn't sign up for challenges!!! :)

    Good job with most of yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will need to lay off the challenges next year. I got a little overexcited. Haha.

      Delete
  2. The only challenge I signed up for is a TBR challenge. I picked 12 books and I'm trying to read one per month. So far, so goooood! I purposely didn't sign up for anything else. It's hard not to though, that's for sure.

    Sometimes I wish I had a commute so I could do the audio books. I've never ever listened to a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea re: the TBR challenge. I'll have to try that next time! And yes, if it wasn't for my commutes, I don't think I would have ever picked up an audiobook either.

      Delete
  3. wait, we are 25% done with the year?! WOW! I also think that in general you are doing kick ass in the reading with an active toddler challenge (A+++) so that will counteract your last F- :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so true!! Sometimes I can't believe I get all this reading done when I see all the havoc he creates. LOL

      Delete
    2. yea as a mom of a toddler I pat you on the back!

      Delete
  4. So many challenges! You're so ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are bad grades, only one failing and the rest honor roll! ;) You're doing great!

    I was going to sign up for the Mt. TBR challenge but, I'm so excited about so many of the NetGalley/Edelweiss books... so I decided to skip it this time around. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't anticipate how many great NetGalley books I would find this year. Totally my downfall!!

      Delete
  6. Considering how many you joined, you're doing pretty well. And it's fair enough that you've worked through some a lot more than others, it evens it out. I've just my own drive to get through the TBR. It started ok, then I got a lot of books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the ownership of new books...always a problem. Haha. I think maybe next year I should JUST do the TBR challenge alone...

      Delete
  7. Love the grade system. Good job. I have similar progress as you on my TBR challenge. I've read none. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone! I thought that challenge would be easiest for me to complete, but that is definitely not the case.

      Delete
  8. I signed up to an a amazing number of challenges last year, so I tried to be a bit wiser this year. 1 is already completed, a few more will be soon, and one I plan actually at least 2 years to complete it. I always give my Reading challenges recap during my monthly wrap-up. here is the March one: http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/04/01/2013-march-wrap-up/
    what slows me down is I can't resist accepting invitation to some amazing book tours, or some current event: Colorado book month, Australia book month, and I see this is also Zola book month right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've learned to pace yourself...that will definitely be my 2014 strategy, I think. :) Yes, it's so easy to get caught up in fun events/tours!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs