Thursday, May 15, 2014

Audiobook Review: Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella


Title: Wedding Night
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: The Dial Press
Publication Date: April 23, 2013
Source: borrowed from the good ol' public library

Summary from Goodreads

Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose, but then his big question involves a trip abroad—not a trip down the aisle. Completely crushed, Lottie reconnects with an old flame, and they decide to take drastic action. No dates, no moving in together, they’ll just get married . . . right now. Her sister, Fliss, thinks Lottie is making a terrible mistake, and will do anything to stop her. But Lottie is determined to say “I do,” for better, or for worse.

My Review:

Well, I can definitely tell that audiobooks aren't my go-to format anymore!  This one took me 2 months (and 2 library renewals) to complete...ha!  I borrowed it because I had to do about 9 hours of driving in a day for my friend's bridal shower, but once I got home I still had 5 discs left to listen to.  Ah well...such is the life of no work commute!

Thankfully, this is a story that is great to listen to.  In typical Kinsella fashion, it's light-hearted and funny, and kept me well entertained for my looooong drive through upstate New York.  I know I've poked fun at fluffy, chick-lit type books in the past, but just like with any other genre, sometimes I'm just in the mood for it.  Wedding Night is a great read if you're looking for something that will keep your interest, make you laugh and not require your brain to work too hard.

One of the things I liked best about this book is that I could see it playing out in my head as a great movie.  The characters end up in those quirky, this-would-never-happen-in-real-life types of situations that seem ridiculous in the everyday, but would make for great cinematic fodder.  Yes, the ending is a tad predictable, but the journey to get there is humorous, so it made the anticlimactic conclusion worth it.

Only downside here has to do with the audio format.  For the most part, I enjoyed the voices of the two narrators (especially the woman who plays Fliss, she was a hoot).  However, they were TERRIBLE at doing men's voices.  The woman playing Lottie had to voice her husband, Ben, and she made him sound like a decrepit old man (even though he was, I assume, in his mid-thirties).  And the woman playing Fliss had to voice Ben's friend Lorcan, who is described in the text as having a very deep voice (think the guy who narrates movie previews).  Yeah...that was NOT the way his voice was portrayed at all.  So those two things were a little off-putting in the audio version, but otherwise it was a good listen.

Overall: over-the-top chick-lit is not my go-to genre, but when I'm craving it, I want it to be silly and humorous enough to make me truly LOL.  Wedding Night fits the bill!

Readers, what was the last book you read that made you laugh-out-loud for real?

9 comments:

  1. Wedding Night was not my favorite Kinsella... it was just too over-the-top for me. I agree, though, I could totally see it as a movie, and maybe I'd like it better as a movie than a book, especially if I liked the people in it.

    And I'm not big on audiobooks either. I've tried a few recently, and while some were better than others, the main issue is that I just can't multitask (which, to me, is the whole point of audiobooks). I can pay attention if I just sit there and listen... but if that's the case, I'd rather just read. But if I'm doing something else, my thoughts will wander, and I'll miss what's going on in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only use them in the car. They used to make my commute so enjoyable! But yeah, I've tried them during housework etc, and it doesn't work for me either.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of I Got Your Number, although I could also see that making a good movie. I've generally heard good things about Kinsella's other books though, so perhaps I'll give her another try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like after Shopaholic went into the theaters, she started writing everything in a way that would make it more cinema-friendly. lol. I think that's why I can't read her a lot...but when I'm in the mood, it's entertaining.

      Delete
  3. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Daniels Jewelers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Plus Size Sexy Lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. bridal nightwear sets

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. bridal nightwear sets

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this article, it is really informative one. Your way of writing and making things clear is very impressive. Thanking you for such an informative article. Tony Pike the Ibiza Legend

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs