Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday (10)



Welcome back, wordy friends!

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

Here are three of my favorites new-to-me words from some of my recent reads. All definitions from Dictionary.com.


1. widdershins. "As if surprised by his rage, the widdershins pressure on the doorknob eased again." (from Dreamcatcher by Stephen King)

adverb
1. in the direction contrary to the apparent course of the sun; anticlockwise.
2. in a direction contrary to the usual; in the wrong direction.

(Apparently this is primarily a Scottish word.)

2. eidetic. "Barry is an eating machine.  And his memory, on this subject, at least, is eidetic." (from Dreamcatcher by Stephen King)

adjective
of, pertaining to, or constituting visual imagery vividly experienced and readily reproducible with great accuracy and in great detail.

(Can I just say how hard it is to identify new words when you are listening to an audiobook?  This word does not look like it sounds, at least to me. ahy-det-ik)

3. surcease. "Eagerly I wished the morrow, vainly I had sought to borrow from my books surcease of sorrow
." (from Feed by Mira Grant)
verb
1. to cease from some action; desist.
2. to come to an end.

(They used this as a passcode in the book--I think it's from a Poe poem?)

What are your new words this week?

13 comments:

  1. I love the sound of widdershins, even though I've never actually heard it spoken. I've heard new words in an audio book before too- I understand your difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely hard to identify new words on audio and I generally don't write them down when I hear them. I like the way widdershins sounds and will have to try to pop it into a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all new to me, thanks! for sharing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/wondrous-words-wednesday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the difficulty in finding new words when listening to books. Our ears must be trained to skip over unknown words But I like the word eidetic. I'll try to use that one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kelly- It's funny how some words you can guess, like surcease, and others are so out there! Widdershins sounds like something I can yell when I'm irritated, instead of, well, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading these posts Kelly.

    You're right, surcease is from The Raven by Poe, "...vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore..."

    Widdershins. It sounds so fun, almost made up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a complete book nerd and higher education worker, "eidetic" makes my heart happy! Thanks for the great share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulty identifying new words in audiobooks! And Julia, I completely agree about widdershins. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have study your article, it is very informative and beneficial for me. I recognize the valuable statistics you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it and is.
    Visit us for Notebook Kraft Pad.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Thanks a lot for the nice and amazing website.Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  13. Often referred to as the "Las Vegas of the East", there are hundred interesting things to do in Macau. Macau or Macao, officially the Macao Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (MSAR), is a city and special administrative region of China in the western Pearl River Delta by the South China Sea. With a population of about 680,000 and an area of 32.9 km2 (12.7 sq mi), it is the most densely populated region in the world.
    Formerly a Portuguese colony, the territory of Portuguese Macau was first leased to Portugal as a trading post by the Ming dynasty in 1557. Portugal paid an annual rent and administered the territory under Chinese sovereignty until 1887. Portugal later gained perpetual colonial rights in the Sino-Portuguese Treaty of Peking. The colony remained under Portuguese rule until 1999, when it was transferred to China. Macau is a special administrative region of China, which maintains separate governing and economic systems from those of mainland China under the principle of "one country, two systems". The unique blend of Portuguese and Chinese architecture in the city's historic centre led to its inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2005.
    Originally a sparsely populated collection of coastal islands, Macau has become a major resort city and a top destination for gambling tourism, with a gambling industry seven times larger than that of Las Vegas. The city has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world, US$43,770 in 2021, and its GDP per capita by purchasing power parity is one of the highest in the world. It has a very high Human Development Index, as calculated by the Macau government, and the fourth-highest life expectancy in the world. The territory is highly urbanised; two-thirds of the total land area is built on land reclaimed from the sea.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs